Friday, April 10, 2009

scrapbook

I found this earring in my jewelry case and it drew my attention because to me, it is more than just an earring like any other piece of jewelry. My father is Mexican and Venezuelan and therefore I was born part Hispanic. In the Spanish culture, it is custom for baby girls to get their ears pierced when they are only a few months old. This is done in order to distinguish the baby as a girl since at that age it is almost impossible to tell because the baby has not grown hair yet. Therefore, I have had my ears pierced since I was barely born and have always worn hoops. Only recently have I realized that hoops are also associated with the Hispanic culture, which helps me understand why I have always worn them and why I like them so much. This is why this particular hoop earring deserves attention despite the fact that it is not art.

No comments:

Post a Comment