Saturday, April 11, 2009

artist: Olia Lialina


"My Boyfriend Came Back from the War"
This piece produces a compelling and emotionally powerful experience that is especially impressive for an early work of New Media since most people expect such an experience to come from older, more established media (film).
This piece of art tells the story of two lovers who reunite after a military conflict. The different fragments of dialogue convey a lot of difficulty that the couple has reconnecting. It seems as though the woman confesses to having an affair with a neighbor while her significant other was away at war. This piece of art caught my attention because I am very interested in the dynamics of relationships and this particular story is different than most because in most cases, the man cheats on the woman. I do not console cheating but if it has to happen, I think that it is good that women are finally not the only victims of cheating in relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment