Thursday, February 26, 2009

artist: Vuk Cosic

"ASCII History of Moving Images"
When I look at this piece of artwork, before reading about it, all I can note is that it seems to be digitally created and is probably a picture of a particular object or being but I can honestly not figure out what. I then find out, after reading about the artist and his work, that this project converts scenes from classic films and TV shows into short animations. I viewed the animated versions of these scenes and found it hard to depict what was going on. There was a lot of white flashes throughout the scene and it almost gave me a headache and I had a hard time following what was going on in the scene. However, that does not mean that this type of art is not interesting. As Kenda Buster and Paula Crawford say in one of our readings, "Art is at its best when it can be experienced. The experience of a complex work of art involves the perception of a complex structure of some kind." And that is exactly what this work of art is: an experience of complex art, involving complex structure. At first, I was confused because I did not know how to understand this artwork. But as Jery Saltz says in his article, "The Whole Ball of Wax," "people wrongly believe that art is about understanding, when, like almost everything else in the everyday world, art is about experience." 

No comments:

Post a Comment